Start Das Forum Die Backyard-Werft: unsere 152VO-Modelle Utilities / Flatbottoms Maybellene: an italian BB
Willkommen, Gast
Benutzername: Passwort: Angemeldet bleiben:

THEMA: Maybellene: an italian BB

Maybellene: an italian BB 28 Sep 2015 17:20 #21

• gamma
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Class AU Stock Racer
  • Dank erhalten: 168
GAMMA SHIPYARD, UPDATE N. 4
Hi all, lovely people, lately works were not as fast as expected and this because I am having a nasty pneumonia which is keeping me at home... :-o
Anyway, the planking is completed, the boat has been removed by the building trestle and finally i could watch the interior.
It is evident that the sanding was too strong :kopf3:
The evidence is shown by those brown lines on both sides of the bottom but I still hope that the final dark staining and, maybe, some additional trick will hide the most of this unwanted effect; in any case i learnt that probably I need a better light on my working desk or may be only a new pair of glasses. :kratz:
ok pic show again

It is time to start fixing the two deck stringers

Now I need your HELP, in particular i have TWO QUESTIONS:

1) I have read different points of view about the overhangs, I mean those two winglets on both sides of the rear hull, whick keep dry the rear sides: if I have well understood, they are effective on real boats but the same is not evident in our scale models; what do you suggest: to add them or not to my BB?
2) I also remember that somewhere, here in our site, there is a building tutorial about the way to make them (stringers 3 X 3?) but i am not able to find it again, does anybody of you remember where it is?
Thank you for your help
Ok, that's all folks, thank you for reading...

See you soon
:winken:
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.

Maybellene: an italian BB 28 Sep 2015 17:50 #22

• Hasse.69
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Class CU Stock Racer
  • Dank erhalten: 641
I think your boat will be a beaty when it´s finished. :top:
This is the topic you asked about , isn´t it.
www.152vo.de/index.php/forum/konstruktio...der-qoverhangsq.html

Best regards , Hasse.
What could possibly go wrong?
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: gamma

Maybellene: an italian BB 28 Sep 2015 18:10 #23

• gamma
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Class AU Stock Racer
Hasse.69 schrieb:
I think your boat will be a beaty when it´s finished. :top:
This is the topic you asked about , isn´t it.
www.152vo.de/index.php/forum/konstruktio...der-qoverhangsq.html

Best regards , Hasse.

Thank you Hasse for your kind words and for the link too...i am not sure it is the one i am looking for, i remember a drawing showing the dimensions of the square stringers to glue to the sides and the how to send them flat, and here it is not.
It could even be the right thread and the image, from Hostarea, is no more visible... :-(

Maybellene: an italian BB 28 Sep 2015 18:34 #24

• Lex Verkuijl
  • ( Supermoderator )
  • Dank erhalten: 2992
Hi Gamma,

This might be a contradiction, but if I were you I would NOT make the overhangs. Why? On my BB I made these extra wood strips to cover up the 'sanding lines' on the bow. But what these strips allso do, as do overhangs, is cut the waterstream at the side. That would results in a slightly higher speed, that is correct.

But is allso makes the hull want to drift in corners. And then the only thing keeping the hull from sliding is the turnfinn. Now the thing is that the finn looses gripp when it catches air, witch makes the cornering of the BB hull somewhat eratic. I have observed this with all BB hulls. There is no saying how she will cut the corner, it depends on when and how the turnfinn loosses gripp.

Now, my thought; if the water is not cut off it will be drawn up the side. This creates a force that keeps the hull turning and that helps the finn to keep a grip on the water. Kind of like how a Foo Ling corners. The turning characteristics would improve, at least, that is my oppinion. If I were to build another BB I would even sand the transition from bottom to side slightly rond just to generate that effect. In a race, a slightly lower speed on the straight away is easily compensated if you are able to maintain a higher speed when cornering.

This is a theory on my part, you would be the first to try this. So no garantee, but i beleeve it's a good idea to try! Just my two cents ...
Gruss, Lex

Maybellene: an italian BB 28 Sep 2015 18:50 #25

• gamma
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Class AU Stock Racer
Lex Verkuijl schrieb:
Hi Gamma,

This might be a contradiction, but if I were you I would NOT make the overhangs. Why? On my BB I made these extra wood strips to cover up the 'sanding lines' on the bow. But what these strips allso do, as do overhangs, is cut the waterstream at the side. That would results in a slightly higher speed, that is correct.

But is allso makes the hull want to drift in corners. And then the only thing keeping the hull from sliding is the turnfinn. Now the thing is that the finn looses gripp when it catches air, witch makes the cornering of the BB hull somewhat eratic. I have observed this with all BB hulls. There is no saying how she will cut the corner, it depends on when and how the turnfinn loosses gripp.

Now, my thought; if the water is not cut off it will be drawn up the side. This creates a force that keeps the hull turning and that helps the finn to keep a grip on the water. Kind of like how a Foo Ling corners. The turning characteristics would improve, at least, that is my oppinion. If I were to build another BB I would even sand the transition from bottom to side slightly rond just to generate that effect. In a race, a slightly lower speed on the straight away is easily compensated if you are able to maintain a higher speed when cornering.

This is a theory on my part, you would be the first to try this. So no garantee, but i beleeve it's a good idea to try! Just my two cents ...

Interesting point of view, it makes sense... :top:
will follow your suggestion about a light rounded transition, It will start a little behind the centre of gravity going backwards :shakehands:

Maybellene: an italian BB 28 Sep 2015 23:58 #26

• Jo_S
  • ( Administrator )
  • Administrator
  • Dank erhalten: 2631
gamma schrieb:
...overhangs... what do you suggest: to add them or not to my BB?
I think I can give you a very easy answer: it's up to you! :)

We have built two different Babies: one with overhangs (VO-47), and one without overhangs (VO-46). Both with the same technical setup. The result: in fact there's not the slightest difference in driving these two models. Same top speed, same cornering behaviour... they run absolutely identically.

Maybe that the VO-47 (the one with the overhangs) drags a little(!) less current... but that's just a guess. We didn't ever measure it. Both boats run about 20-21 laps on the quartermile course with fresh 2S/4000 batteries.
Keep the flat side on the water!

Maybellene: an italian BB 29 Sep 2015 00:30 #27

• gamma
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Class AU Stock Racer
Jo_S schrieb:
gamma schrieb:
...overhangs... what do you suggest: to add them or not to my BB?
I think I can give you a very easy answer: it's up to you! :)

We have built two different Babies: one with overhangs (VO-47), and one without overhangs (VO-46). Both with the same technical setup. The result: in fact there's not the slightest difference in driving these two models. Same top speed, same cornering behaviour... they run absolutely identically.

Maybe that the VO-47 (the one with the overhangs) drags a little(!) less current... but that's just a guess. We didn't ever measure it. Both boats run about 20-21 laps on the quartermile course with fresh 2S/4000 batteries.

Thank you Jo, alea iacta est: the italian BB will be...without overhangs, i wiil follow also the suggestion of Lex...a slyghtly rounded (just a very very very short radius, almost invisible) transition :mrgreen:

Maybellene: an italian BB 06 Okt 2015 09:29 #28

• gamma
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Class AU Stock Racer
GAMMA SHIPYARD, UPDATE N. 5

Hi all, lovely people, this is, again, an update about my Maybellene, I'm still trapped at home waiting for my pneumonia being over; anyway, little by little, step by step, works went on.
Hopefully, the most of sanding and filling my room with dust, not so good for my lungs in this moment, has been completed, at least for now.

Pics now: :dance:

this is were i am to day, next step the sealing of the interiors compartments; I have decided to give a flat finish to the interior area , external upper surfaces and hull sides will have a satin or glossy finish, still to decide; the bottom of the hull will be covered by fiberglass cloth, the lightest i can find, and then painted to hide those unwanted brown lines.

that's all folks, hope you like and thank you for reading, have a nice day.

See u soon :winken:

Sergio
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Andy

Maybellene: an italian BB 06 Okt 2015 09:36 #29

• Schubrakete
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Class AU Stock Racer
  • Dank erhalten: 132
:1st: :1st: :1st:

Maybellene: an italian BB 06 Okt 2015 10:02 #30

• Lex Verkuijl
  • ( Supermoderator )
  • Dank erhalten: 2992
:top: :verknallt:

Funny, the sanding grain on the bow looks like a smile .. ! ;)
Gruss, Lex