Start Das Forum Preface Die 152VO-Infizierten stellen sich vor Greetings from the U.S.! (Chynewalker)
Willkommen, Gast
Benutzername: Passwort: Angemeldet bleiben:
  • Seite:

THEMA: Greetings from the U.S.! (Chynewalker)

Greetings from the U.S.! (Chynewalker) 19 Mär 2013 22:37 #1

• Chynewalker
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
  • Dank erhalten: 141
Hello! My name is Scott from the 1000 Islands area of the St. Lawrence River in Northern New York State, U.S.A. I have been building model outboard boats in one form or another for most of my life, as well as some 1:1 scale boats built and/or restored.

I raced for a few years in the late 1990s, running a Yamato 102 on a Broccoli (Craig Bowman) C-Runabout, as well as running what we call "Classic B" on occasion, with my vintage Mark 20H "Corn Popper". I also mess around with classic Merc racing motors, and have one of each of the 2 and 4 cylinder models from the '50s.

I've spoken with some of you regarding my most recent project, a 1959 Sid-Craft DU Hornet, in 1:6 scale. (Full build thread here: www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1591892) Even though I don't read German, I have been finding the many photos quite helpful as I near completion of the hull and eventual rigging with an outboard.

- Scott

CometV_CockpitFramingDone_2016.jpg

SidCraftBowDeckOn_2945.jpg

112NC99.jpg

Coombs1.jpg
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.

Greetings from the U.S.! 19 Mär 2013 23:43 #2

• xoff
  • ( Besucher )
  • xoffs Avatar
Hello Scott and feel warmly welcome in our forum. :mrgreen:

I think we can feel lucky to have another driver of race boats you on board with you. I look forward to all you can tell us about racing... :top:

Your build thread is very interesting...I was astonished that you don't use a building slip but build the whole boat loose on the table.
What kind of wood did you use for the frames and the battens and stringers?

edit: would you allow us to use your plans for also building a 1959 Sid-Craft DU Hornet? That would be great, because this really is a very nice boat....;)

Greetings from the U.S.! 20 Mär 2013 06:43 #3

• abrauner
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Class DSH Stock Racer
  • Dank erhalten: 357
Hello Scott,

nice to meet you here!

ALEX
:dance: Die Arche Noah wurde von Amateuren gebaut, die Titanic von Profis :dance:

Greetings from the U.S.! 20 Mär 2013 08:28 #4

• VollNormal
  • ( Supermoderator )
  • Normal ist, wie ich bin!
  • Dank erhalten: 765
Hi Scott, welcome aboard!

I've already watched your build on rcgroups and I like it very much! Especially the fact, that this one has a real, personal history.

As Xoff said, we would really appreciate if you could make your plans or your measurings of the original boat available to us.
Tüssi, Andreas

Of course we need rules. How could we cheat if there were no rules?

Greetings from the U.S.! 20 Mär 2013 10:46 #5

• Chynewalker
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
I will post a PDF of my frame drawings and a layout later today as they are on my computer at work.

XOFF - I prefer to build the boat loose. I take care to keep things true on a flat board. I just find it easier to build that way. The "real" boats I've built have had a jig set-up, as I don't find myself moving them around quite so much... ;-)
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich:

Greetings from the U.S.! 20 Mär 2013 15:30 #6

• Jo_S
  • ( Administrator )
  • Administrator
  • Dank erhalten: 2631
Hi Scott,

I'm glad you found our website and joined our crazy group! :shakehands:

By the way: Rod, our first member from the USA, uses Google Chrome to translate the postings - maybe this will help you to read the other threads written in german. Nearly everyone here is able to understand and write English as we have members from many different countries here.

Nice to have you here - have fun!
Jo

Note: I know Scott and his models from the american boatracingfacts forum (www.boatracingfacts.com) and he already sent me the DU Hornet plans weeks ago. I just hadn't have enough time to put them in the model plans section. :-(
Keep the flat side on the water!

Greetings from the U.S.! 20 Mär 2013 15:35 #7

• Chynewalker
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
Hi Jo,
I just posted the PDF to my thread in the Flatbottom forum...
Unfortunately, I am using an older Mac, so Google Chrome is out. I manage using an online translator, which gives me the general idea. Clunky, but it works okay... :-)
- Scott

Greetings from the U.S.! 20 Mär 2013 15:40 #8

• Chynewalker
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
Here is another boat I built. It was my first attempt at lofting a boat I have - a 1970s era Hedlund Class B/25SS hydroplane. I ran the 1:1 boat with a Mercury 25SS and it literally flies! At about 50 mph (85 kph) it starts to pack enough air to lift right off the water, such that only the bottom half of the lower unit and propeller are in the water. It is an amazing feeling! This model is a static display, but I hope to find time to build a full R/C version someday.
- Scott

Hedlund_2211_FramingBottom.jpg

Hedlund_2225_KeelInPlace.jpg

Hedlund_2235_SponsonInsidesClamped.jpg

Hedlund_2238_SidesBottomOnWithSFTwin.jpg

Hedlund_2274_Done.jpg

Greetings from the U.S.! 20 Mär 2013 15:42 #9

• Chynewalker
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
Here is a PDF of my frame drawings for the Hedlund... I built it in 1:8 scale, but it could easily be scaled up for use in 152VO...

ChuckInHedlund1992A.jpg

Greetings from the U.S.! 20 Mär 2013 15:46 #10

• Chynewalker
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
Hmmm. Not sure why it won't accept the file? Trying one more time.
Anhang:
  • Anhang Dieser Anhang ist für Gäste unsichtbar. Bitte melde dich an (oder registriere dich) um ihn zu sehen.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich:
  • Seite: