Start Das Forum Preface Die 152VO-Infizierten stellen sich vor Introduce myself.....Rod Geraghty
Willkommen, Gast
Benutzername: Passwort: Angemeldet bleiben:

THEMA: Introduce myself.....Rod Geraghty

Introduce myself.....Rod Geraghty 08 Feb 2013 23:24 #11

• geraghty
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Woodworker
  • Dank erhalten: 25
VollNormal schrieb:
geraghty schrieb:
71 years old.
I started boat racing [APBA Stock Outboard Racing] in 1956
I've just done some scientific research, coming up with an arithmetic calculation*) resulting in the finding, that you were about 14 years old, when you started racing.

As science has it, every new answer inevitably leads to a whole bunch of new questions. The question that springs to my mind is: Was it common in those days, that the youth were racing? Was there perhaps a separate division for yougsters?

*) Anyone interested in the exact formula may trustfully apply to me, I will be more than happy to share my insights. ;)

I raced in APBA Region 10..........
APBA [American Powerboat Assn] allowed anyone over 12 years of age to participate in A stock hydro....I seem to recall that in Region 10 we had to be 14 years or older to participate in the faster classes.There were no junior classes per se.
As JO said JU runabout was restricted to a maximum age of 16 years old.
Class "M" hydro [Midget hydro] was primarily run in NOA[National Outboard Assn.]I personally never witnessed a "M" hydro run.There were no "M" hydros in Region 10.
I can tell you that the 50's were the glory years of Stock Outboard Racing. :top:
I can recall that there were several races I attended that sported over 40 "A" stock hydros in attendance.APBA only allowed 12 boats per heat so there would be several elimination heats before boats for the final 12 could be determined.All boats were very close to the same speed and the competition was fierce but fair and fun :shakehands: .
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.

Introduce myself.....Rod Geraghty 08 Feb 2013 23:45 #12

• geraghty
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Woodworker
Lex Verkuijl schrieb:
Language barrier? What language barrier? We al speak 152VO here ... :top:

Rod, welcome! Nice to have an actual vintage racer on the team! And I am not referring to your age with that... :rofl: I have already used your advice on the 'overhang issue' on by FooLing onder construction, thanks! Hope to hear some more of these valuable tips! :bier:

I sent this to Eberhard today as a suggestion.....overhangs are a lot easier to take off than to put on after the boat is built.

>
Eberhard......

I just took a good look at the MadCap plans you sent me......again,thank you very much.....
Just as a suggestion, I would extend the bottom overhangs 5 CM farther forward than are shown on the 1/5.2 plans.
I would do this to compensate for the CG change due to the radio gear and battery weight in the front of the boat.
I would do the same on the Airborne and FooLing plans also.
I believe this location will be very close to where the overhangs should stop but only actual testing will tell if I am right.....Rod Geraghty

Introduce myself.....Rod Geraghty 09 Feb 2013 11:02 #13

• xoff
  • ( Besucher )
  • xoffs Avatar
Welcome to the forum and to the group of crazy scale-racers, Rod! :top:

I look forward to hear more of your first hand information - I think we're very lucky to have you on board...;)

Introduce myself.....Rod Geraghty 09 Feb 2013 13:59 #14

• egdata
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Cottage Racer
  • Dank erhalten: 37
Hi Rod, you can make a small sketch of the changes?

My boat is ready, for a new but it would be interesting.
Geht nicht, gibt es nicht!

RC-Powerboat-Team NWM

Introduce myself.....Rod Geraghty 09 Feb 2013 14:22 #15

• Dirk76
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Class CU Stock Racer
  • Dank erhalten: 294
Hi Rod, welcome on board.
:bier:
Dirk
Have more Fun,
Dirk

Introduce myself.....Rod Geraghty 09 Feb 2013 16:57 #16

• Lex Verkuijl
  • ( Supermoderator )
  • Dank erhalten: 2992
geraghty schrieb:
Just as a suggestion, I would extend the bottom overhangs 5 CM farther forward than are shown on the 1/5.2 plans.

Hello Rod,

That is just what I have done. Only not 5 cm, but just so far as not to go past the widest point of the planing area. If jou go further then that the vertical sides of the overhang will couse extra drag becouse they will cut into the water and have to push it aside. This is on the FooLing by the way.
Gruss, Lex

Introduce myself.....Rod Geraghty 09 Feb 2013 17:33 #17

• egdata
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Cottage Racer
  • Dank erhalten: 37
Hallo Rod, ich habe das dann unbewusst bei meinem Boot genau so gemacht.
Hi Rod, I have then made unwitting exactly at my boat.

Geht nicht, gibt es nicht!

RC-Powerboat-Team NWM

Introduce myself.....Rod Geraghty 09 Feb 2013 17:46 #18

• Lex Verkuijl
  • ( Supermoderator )
  • Dank erhalten: 2992
My overhangs (not to be confused with my hangovers :pfeif: ) are shorter. They extend to midway between bulkhead 2 and 3. Further to the front the planing area gets narrower and the overhangs will have to push water to the sides. Unless the boat rider high enough not to touch the water there ofcourse.
Gruss, Lex

Introduce myself.....Rod Geraghty 09 Feb 2013 23:22 #19

• geraghty
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Woodworker
egdata schrieb:
Hallo Rod, ich habe das dann unbewusst bei meinem Boot genau so gemacht.
Hi Rod, I have then made unwitting exactly at my boat.

That is exactly where I would have ended the overhang.... :top:

Introduce myself.....Rod Geraghty 10 Feb 2013 23:30 #20

• geraghty
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Woodworker
geraghty schrieb:
I am a resident of Mondovi,Wisconsin in the U.S.A.....I am 71 years old.
I started boat racing [APBA Stock Outboard Racing] in 1956 in Seattle Washington.
In 1976 I started racing RC boats.....I actively participated in RC boat racing until 2007 when health concerns caused my retirement from active participating in RC racing.
I have campaigned in all three national [IMPBA-NAMBA-APBA] RC boating organizations in North America.
I still attend several races a year but only as a spectator.
I learned of 152VO from a post by Jochen in Boat Racing Facts and Forums.....
What really has peaked my interest in 152VO is everyone is a true "MODELER" and a "BUILDER".
I have had some difficulty not only with learning computer skills to contribute and,at times the language barrier has been a challenge,but I am learning more every day.
Please bear with me.......I am really enjoying talking about and building vintage model race boats.