Start Das Forum Die Technikecke Setup, Motoren, Props Baby B build: Power cables thru frame #2-
Willkommen, Gast
Benutzername: Passwort: Angemeldet bleiben:
  • Seite:

THEMA: Baby B build: Power cables thru frame #2-

Baby B build: Power cables thru frame #2- 09 Dez 2015 18:19 #1

• Derret
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Woodworker
  • Dank erhalten: 20
Hello- I am working on my BB kit/boat- Very nice build so far to present phase of making the power cables for ESC to the motor & power cable line break needed to power down the model between runs-
I am using shrink wrap on all connectors ( 3.5 mm & 4 mm)-
The holes in blkhd. #2 were to small for both the shrink wrapped connectors I am using-
I do not want to make up the cables in the boat which means un soldering them to take them out at any future time.
The three motor power cables are up in the corner of the blkhd. & Very difficult to access;
With careful filing I opened up the batt. break cable holes slightly to pass the shrink wrapped #4 connectors.
For the holes for the three 3.5 connectors with shrink wrap I drilled new holes slightly over toward the middle of the boat which makes access to these cables much easier.
Now I make the cables out of the boat & they are easy to install.
A small amount of silicon sealer will seal the cables from excess water ingress into the radio area of the boat.
Reason for this note is this bit of work would be easier if fore warned by the instructions to trial fit the cables/connectors in their thru holes before putting the deck on the hull.
Maybe holes as milled in the blkhd. could be a bit larger as the part is milled?
Maybe this can make A fine product even better-
I hope this may help others in their boat build-
Thanks-
Dave Richardson
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.

Baby B build: Power cables thru frame #2- 09 Dez 2015 20:11 #2

• Stelzi
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Cottage Racer
  • Hetz mich nicht
  • Dank erhalten: 49
Nice explanation. Is it possible to insert some pictures. Then it easier to understand the descrpition . Thanks in advance :shakehands:
Tschüss, Thomas (Stelzi)

Baby B build: Power cables thru frame #2- 11 Dez 2015 14:41 #3

• Jo_S
  • ( Administrator )
  • Administrator
  • Dank erhalten: 2631
Dave, the 3 holes in frame #2 are not intended to insert connectors. You don't need them at that point. Just run the wires (without connectors) throuh the holes and solder the connectors to the ends afterwards. This means: you have gold connectors directly at the output oft the ESC and directly at the motor. No additional plugs required.
Keep the flat side on the water!

Baby B build: Power cables thru frame #2- 11 Dez 2015 19:15 #4

• Derret
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Woodworker
Thanks Jo for your answer- My thinking goes to making the boat as serviceable as I can while at the lake testing the boat- that will mean trying different props & motors & ESCs & Batt pack combinations.
To me a big part of a racing craft is the testing time on the water that counts the most, not loosing time while slow changes of combinations that are perhaps helpful.
Building in cable connectors make switching to different components faster, & not having to unsolder/ solder parts then-
I would guess your are mainly concerned with power loss thru connectors?
At this point in this buildup of the model, I seriously doubt at this early stage if any drop in power there will make much difference to the overall performance of the boat?
So many others areas of this craft need attention to finally tune it to be friendly in most conditions.
I think my build up is workable; Your way is useful also.
That proves that there are at least two way to skin a cat! Both work..........
Thanks-
Dave Richardson

Baby B build: Power cables thru frame #2- 12 Dez 2015 20:11 #5

• Derret
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Woodworker
Thanks- I will try to send a few photos- I'm new at emailing photos just now- learning quickly tho-
As spoken about here there is usually more then one way to do things - Is there a Better way? Best way? Aaaaah - the beauty of building things..........
Thanks- Be well-
Dave Richardson

Baby B build: Power cables thru frame #2- 13 Dez 2015 11:44 #6

• Lex Verkuijl
  • ( Supermoderator )
  • Dank erhalten: 2992
What Jo is trying to explain won't affect your 'Component flexibility' at all. We all are making the cables this way. The layout:

In the RC area you have the three motor connectors on the ESC. Then you put three whires through the bulkhead with three male 3,5mm connectors in the rc area. These connect to the ESC. Then you glue the whires waterproof to the bulkhead, and on the other end you solder three 3,5mm female connectors to plug in the motor on the outboard. Yust make sure the whires are long enough. With this you can switch components as often as you like, the whires simply stay where they are. They are just 'extension cords' to the ESC motor connectors.
Gruss, Lex

Baby B build: Power cables thru frame #2- 13 Dez 2015 18:07 #7

• Derret
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Woodworker
Thanks Lex- I'm doing what you write about here with the exception of being able to remove the cables from the boat with out un soldering the connectors with heat shrink applied to them -
for me is't easier to solder the connector ends to the cables outside the boat in a jig I made to hold everything inline & produce a better looking piece- A very small detail I know - but perfect details made a better looking finished model-
Like you & Jo my goal is as clean a looking & performing boat as I can build-
I wish the build instructions went in to more detail on this area of the boat- as you just did above-
Thanks for your help & efforts-
Dave Richardson
  • Seite: