Start Das Forum Originale und Recherche Outboard-Motoren und Technik Originales Vintage-Outboard- und Rennequipment
Willkommen, Gast
Benutzername: Passwort: Angemeldet bleiben:

THEMA: Originales Vintage-Outboard- und Rennequipment

Originales Vintage-Outboard- und Rennequipment 25 Aug 2016 21:21 #101

• Lex Verkuijl
  • ( Supermoderator )
  • Dank erhalten: 2992
A/B Speedliner schrieb:
PS Basement is K E L L E R?

Yes! :top:
Gruss, Lex
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.

Originales Vintage-Outboard- und Rennequipment 25 Aug 2016 21:26 #102

• VollNormal
  • ( Supermoderator )
  • Normal ist, wie ich bin!
  • Dank erhalten: 765
A/B Speedliner schrieb:
4. Location when the throttle wire is used to push the throttle open.
Are there really such motors (or carburetors) where the throttle wire has to be pushed? Every carb I know, be it car or motorcycle, the throttle wire is pulled.

A/B Speedliner schrieb:
PS Basement is K E L L E R?
Yes.
Tüssi, Andreas

Of course we need rules. How could we cheat if there were no rules?

Originales Vintage-Outboard- und Rennequipment 25 Aug 2016 23:22 #103

• Jo_S
  • ( Administrator )
  • Administrator
  • Dank erhalten: 2631
A/B Speedliner schrieb:
I believe this was the second version of the "Keller" throttle. The first version was very similar but it had a full solid cover of the lower mechanism.

Maybe there was also a third version? I've seen a Keller side mount throttle (just on pics) which had a detachable front plate instead of the solid aluminum casted one.

A/B Speedliner schrieb:
... Kaminc (Kiekhaffer Aero Marine Incorporated)...

Just as you mention it... there's one detail which confuses me since a long time:

- the Kiekhaefer engines were sold under the brand name "Mercury" (disregarding the very first types),
- steerers, gas tanks and many other equipment (as the racing lower units, of course) were sold under the name "Quicksilver",
- throttles, propellers, etc. were sold under the brand name "KAMINC", whereas other propellers were also sold under the brand name "Mercury".

(Note: it took me a while to realize, that "Mercury" and "Quicksilver" are two terms with one same meaning).

All these parts were manufactured by one and the same company, the Kiekhaefer corporation. Do you know the (marketing strategical?) reason for these different designations?
Keep the flat side on the water!

Originales Vintage-Outboard- und Rennequipment 26 Aug 2016 12:29 #104

• A/B Speedliner
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
  • Dank erhalten: 144
I have seen old outboards with the attachment bracket on the carb located on the other side of throttle butterfly shaft which would require a push to open the throttle.

David

Originales Vintage-Outboard- und Rennequipment 26 Aug 2016 21:15 #105

• A/B Speedliner
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
  • Dank erhalten: 144
I did some research about the and also added some of my own thoughts about the names used for various Mercury engines, from the beginning.

The Kiekhaefer's, father and son, Karl being the son along with a number of other residents of Cedarburg WI purchased the manufacturing building of a company that constructed the THOR outboard in 1939. The name THOR was derived from the first name of the previous owner Thorwald Hansen. The original name of the new company was the Kiekhaefer Corporation, in which Karl was the Vice President and general manager. The THOR motors were very poorly constructed so Karl re-designed a number of the parts. A year of so later he wished to clean up the clumsy design of the lower unit and also to sell the engines through his own company, he knew his design would be faster speed and wishing to provide a name for the engines he would sell he came up with MERCURY the Greek God of speed, in my thinking it is also follow the naming criteria since THOR was also a God.

Further along, in the 1940's the company started to build engines for aircraft drones so the company change its name to Kiekhaefer Aero Marine, since they were manufacturing marine and aero engines. They also started in the later part of the 1940's began selling a line accessories including throttles, steering wheels, oil and lubricants etc. They did not want to sell these as Mercury items, thereby limiting their market to just Mercury outboard owners and dealers. The accessories could be used on a boat or in engines of different make. So the name KAMIC was created for this line of items. KAMIC is an amalgamation of Kiekhaefer, Aero, Marine and the first three letters of Incorporated.

In the early 1950's looking again at speed Kiekhaefer redesigned a gear case for use in racing events. His designers came up with a very sleek design that would flow though water very smoothly so looking for a name for this design he choose another name for Mercury the element or Quicksilver. This name used for the sale of the racing parts he was now making available and then included most the replacement parts used for repairs.

Some of these ideas are well reported but I took the liberty to put them together and arrive at my own conclusions, others may have better or more ideas and that is fine.

David
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Jo_S, Hasse.69

Originales Vintage-Outboard- und Rennequipment 29 Aug 2016 19:09 #106

• Jo_S
  • ( Administrator )
  • Administrator
Thanks David, that explanation is understandable and makes sense to me.

Fertig restaurierte / polierte / zaponierte / geschmierte Keller 200:

DSC_1122.jpg

Flutscht wieder wie ein Zäpfchen.

Originales Vintage-Outboard- und Rennequipment 29 Aug 2016 19:37 #107

• Snake
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Class DU Stock Racer
  • Dank erhalten: 310
Flutscht wieder wie ein Zäpfchen.
Na da kann die Wand ja Gas geben :evil: :rofl: :rofl:
Alles ist möglich

Originales Vintage-Outboard- und Rennequipment 01 Sep 2016 13:56 #108

• Jo_S
  • ( Administrator )
  • Administrator
Snake schrieb:
Na da kann die Wand ja Gas geben :evil: :rofl: :rofl:

Das ist die schnellste Wand im südlichen Nordrhein-Westfalen. :rc:

Originales Vintage-Outboard- und Rennequipment 08 Sep 2016 16:52 #109

• Jo_S
  • ( Administrator )
  • Administrator
Das hier kennt ihr alle, Erklärung überflüssig:

Kainer_01.jpg

Das ist die Rennversion. Es gab auch noch eine "Pleasure boat"-Version. Die war in vielen Farben verfügbar, hatte eine hübsch-gefällige Frontplatte auf der Nabe und einen anderen Hub, bei dem die Seiltrommeln vor dem Dashboard lagen:

11180608_1_x.jpg

Aber hier wird es natürlich um die Rennversion gehen. Erstmal die festgerostete Achse und die mounting plate demontiert...

Kainer_02.jpg

Die Seiltrommel muss runter. Die sitzt aber nach gut 60 Jahren Oxydation leider bombenfest...

Kainer_03.jpg

... und ist auch noch auf die Achse aufgepresst. Rücksprache mit den Fachleuten in den USA. Nein, da hat auch noch niemand ein Kainer in seine Einzelteile zerlegt. Also tief Luft holen, Kriechöl, Hammer, Holzklotz... und dann immer feste druff. Ich hasse es, auf solchen alten Schätzchen rumzuprügeln. Eine halbe Stunde später ist die Trommel runter.

Die mounting plate, eigentlich noch in ziemlich gutem Zustand:

Kainer_05.jpg

Originales Vintage-Outboard- und Rennequipment 08 Sep 2016 16:59 #110

• Jo_S
  • ( Administrator )
  • Administrator
Runter mit dem Dreck der Jahrzehnte. Mounting plate matt poliert und zaponiert...

Kainer_07.jpg

Seiltrommel zerlegt, gereinigt, satiniert und zaponiert...

Kainer_08.jpg

Achse entfettet, entrostet, gebürstet, mattiert. Die Alu-Frontmutter wurde noch zusätzlich auf Spiegelglanz poliert...

Kainer_09.jpg

So langsam wird's was...

Kainer_11.jpg