Start Das Forum Originale und Recherche Outboard-Motoren und Technik 1928 Elto Quad - The first "Big Iron" Outboard!
Willkommen, Gast
Benutzername: Passwort: Angemeldet bleiben:
  • Seite:

THEMA: 1928 Elto Quad - The first "Big Iron" Outboard!

1928 Elto Quad - The first "Big Iron" Outboard! 23 Okt 2014 14:52 #1

• Chynewalker
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
  • Dank erhalten: 141
Two weeks ago I dusted off my 1928 Elto Quad. For those of you not familiar with these motors, the Quad was the first production 4-cylinder outboard and made 18 horsepower. The prototype of this motor powered the FIRST boat to EVER jump a wake! It was a Class D sized motor of 40cubic inches, had battery ignition and was of the "Knucklebuster" type for starting.

My motor belonged to my Dad who had it rebuilt in the mid 1980s. Other than a brief run on a stand, he never ran it on a boat. Last autumn I got it out and ran it briefly but it was not pumping water, so I returned to shore. Weather made it so that I didn't get another opportunity to run it last year. I got it out again this autumn, now knowing that to get it to pump water I had to run it up to speed, as it is a force feed system, not unlike many of the electric outboards run on the 152VO boats. It has twin carburetors, that have to be dialed in independently for best running. And, the motor did indeed bust my knuckles a bit during starting! I will have to wear gloves next time I get it out!

Here is a video of me running the motor:

IMG_4799_Small.jpg
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Jo_S, Ulmo, Andy, jan, , raptoruli,

1928 Elto Quad - The first "Big Iron" Outboard! 23 Okt 2014 15:03 #2

• Andy
  • ( Supermoderator )
  • Dank erhalten: 1749
I´d give a lot for a ride in a boat, driven by such outboards. May be I should move to USA :evil:
Man sollte sich selbst nicht zu ernst nehmen

1928 Elto Quad - The first "Big Iron" Outboard! 23 Okt 2014 16:44 #3

• Jo_S
  • ( Administrator )
  • Administrator
  • Dank erhalten: 2631
Great to own (and run) such a motor, Scott! :verknallt:

I'd love to have just a small Johnson KR in my office. Yesterday I talked to Andy on the phone. We planned to save money for a flight ticket to the USA to visit the Mark Suter collection and at least one AOMCI meeting. Maybe next year...
Keep the flat side on the water!

1928 Elto Quad - The first "Big Iron" Outboard! 23 Okt 2014 17:22 #4

• Chynewalker
  • ( Benutzer )
  • Backyard Builder
  • Dank erhalten: 141
I just spoke with Mark the other day. He is a neighbor to the gentleman who rebuilt our Quad many years ago and he shared the pics and video with him. Real great guy!
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Andy
  • Seite: